As we all know Brayden is extremely advanced and just so freaking smart! A while ago, I wanted to start the whole potty training bit, however, his teachers expressed that they did not think he was quite ready. However, at 25 months, Brayden has expressed his interest in the potty. His favorite book is, “Duck Goes Potty” which helped him understand the concept of what “going potty” entails. From reading the book, it has really assisted with this incredible transition.
After doing research online, and getting information from his teachers, the best approach (I thought) was to take the diaper away completely. Therefore, last Friday, June 17, 2011, was the last day Mr. Brayden wore a diaper. On Saturday, I explained to him that since he is a big boy now, he is not going to need a diaper anymore, like Mr. Duck! In the book, it explains how Mr. Duck is a big boy and does not need a diaper. This book was extremely helpful with this transition, because I was able to refer to it along the way!
Day One (Saturday): This was by far the longest day. There was a lot of resistance from Brayden today; I started telling him previously that Mommy was going to take away the diaper, so I removed the diaper. I think Brayden thought I was going to crack and give it back to him, because he did not want to use the potty at all today. Finally, after a long day, and a lot of water, he finally went pee-pee in the potty! I made him feel like a million dollars and, in addition, gave him a surprise (Hershey kiss) when he was done. I think the whole idea of surprises (even though technically it was a bribe) worked really well, because he knew if he used the potty, he would get a special treat! After Brayden went pee-pee, I felt like we were going to get through this no matter what it took!
Day Two (Sunday): I think Brayden woke up with the intention of going potty, because he did absolutely fantastic! He went several times today (seven to be exact), having a few accidents, but ultimately using the potty like a pro. I was so happy with this enormous improvement!
Day Three (Monday): Since, Brayden was still new to the whole idea of using the potty, I only took him to school for a few hours today. I did not have school, so I utilized this time to take care of some running around. He did very well at school, without having any accidents! In addition, this was the first day Brayden went poo-poo in the potty! I am so proud of him and how quickly he has adapted to such an enormous change.
Through all of this, I have learned that Brayden is absolutely incredible. He is able to do just about anything if he puts his mind to it! Being a little skeptical at first (which I am sure is only natural), I was not sure what to expect after the first long day, but Brayden proved me wrong. In addition, I think when parents decide they are going to potty train their child, they themselves have to be ready and dedicated to the commitment, because once you take the diaper away there is no turning back!
Congratulations, Brayden! You are amazing!
2 comments:
Yeah Brayden!!
Good job Brayden, you're the BEST!!! He is going to be a pro at going potty by the time you guys visit.
Post a Comment