Saturday, May 21, 2011

Progress Report

Since Mike left, Brayden and I have been readjusting to our new lifestyle—testing each other out, and Brayden seeing how far he can push me. Everything was going well at first, but the last couple have days have been rough. Brayden has not wanted to go to sleep at night, crying for like 45 min. he has been very attached to me, and just trying to see what he can get away with.

Knowing how important it is to stay consistent when disciplining your children, I have tried to remain that way since Mike left. At first Brayden would try to test out his limits with me, pushing all my buttons, doing things then looking at me to see what I would say. I remain to stay neutral and regular when disciplining him, and actually, I have seen a significant improvement.

Now that a over a week has passed, the first part of the this week was a struggle, but the past few days Brayden has been so helpful and sweet. For example, I was sweeping the kitchen floor yesterday and my sweet baby went and opened the trashcan for me to dump the dirt in. In addition, this morning when I went into his room to change his diaper, Brayden went and opened the closet for me so I could get him a diaper! He is so lovable and cooperative!

Even though he is only two-years-old, I have him help me around the house. I think it is important to help him recognize he is an important part of this house and his assistance is critical. He does not scrub the floors or anything; but he helps with throwing things away, putting clothes in the hamper, and putting dishes in the sink! Bryaden and I have had our ups-and-downs thus far, but there is no doubt in my mind we will not get through this!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Sarah, this is great news. Brayden is adjusting to Daddy not being home each day/night just like you adjusting to Hubby not being home. Remaining consistent with discipline and interactions is good. It is important for him to feel safe, and consistency provides the feeling of safety to children (even though sometimes they don't like it)..